Hair transplant is a process and it is important to get all the parts right from start to finish for a great result, which is why after the surgery is completed the patient must follow the instructions given by the doctor.
After the surgery, some patients might experience some pain, discomfort, some minor swelling, and soreness of your scalp but prescribed painkillers such as paracetamol can help. However, this is all temporary and any swelling or bruising around your hairline will go away after a few days. That is why it is recommended to take a few days off from work after the surgery so the bruising and swelling to subside. After a day or two the bandage which was applied will be removed and after that, you feel tightness or feel itchy but this completely normal.
- After the surgery please do not drive so it is important you are accompanied by someone.
- When you reach home after the surgery, sleep in a semi-upright position and use a couple of soft pillows to elevate your head for the first three days after the surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol for the first two to four weeks after surgery and the same time frame is applied if are a smoker because alcohol and Smoking can interrupt blood flow to the hair follicles which is vital during this period. Also, this is a good opportunity to give up smoking because it is just a habit.
- You will be prescribed a lotion minoxidil 5 which is a special lotion which contains growth factor and has to be applied accordingly.
- You will be able to apply shampoo to your hair a couple of days after surgery so all the dead skin can be removed but more importantly, to get rid of scabs which get formed around the grafted hairs.
- If there is any swelling or bleeding during this first week you can use an ice pack but it must be placed on the forehead or at the back of the head but never directly onto the grafted area.
- After the surgery does not do any physical activity for two weeks and try not lean forward or blow your nose with force.
- We usually go for dissolvable stitches but just in case we have put non-dissolvable stitches then these will be taken out two weeks after surgery.
- Cover your head at all times for the first three months and avoid sun exposure so wear a comfortable hat when you have to go out.
- The possibility of severe pain, bleeding or infection is always there and in that case contact your us immediately.
Normally patient can see the results of hair transplant in just three to four months but the whole growth process takes between nine to twelve months. So it is important to follow all the instructions given by the doctor because hair transplant is a long journey for healthy new hair.